Our visit to Israel

(My granny, my uncle Hector and two friends traveled in a Mini Seven to Israel in 1961. Remember this one had only 10″ wheels and an 848 cc engine!  These four people were not small. I remember granny’s slides as a boy. She had boxes of them where we had awful afternoons passing round a cream coloured viewer. She is long gone now but sometimes I would love to be back there looking through that cream coloured viewer and hearing her story. My sister Liz got hold of her diary and slides and put a most interesting booklet together of this remarkable journey. This web page has been created from Liz’s data. My thanks to her.

I have put some maps to show the approximate route taken. Exact roads are uncertain as are places stayed at. Also roads have somewhat changed since 1961. The more I have studied what they achieved the more astounded I am at what they did.)

May 16th 1961 – June 16th 1961

Mrs E A Cameron (granny)
Rev Hector Cameron (son of Mrs Cameron)
Mrs McKenzie (Drumdyre, friend of Mrs Cameron)
Rev Murdo Macleod (friend of Rev Cameron)

Main means of travel – Mini

16th May 1961

Our visit to Israel

Left home May 16th 1961, arrived home June 16th 1961

Tuesday May 16th 1961

Left Newhall at 7.20am, reaching Inverness at 8.20, picking up Mrs McKenzie at Drumdyre. Arrived Perth at 12 noon – Queensferry 1.40pm. Edinburgh 2pm. Called at Buccleuch Manse, picked up Murdo McLeod, had coffee – left 3.30. Had tea at English border – Murdo took over wheel as far as Scotch Corner – then H. drove on to Retford where we stayed the night – very comfortable hotel –“Pheasant”.

Wed 17th

After breakfast we left for London, arriving there shortly after 2pm. Mrs McK went to see Mona & H and M went in to the city – I sat in the car. We left London for Woking at 6.30 – had dinner in Star & Garter Hotel and set out for Canterbury about 9.30pm. Spent the night in Westgate Court and set off for Dover in the morning.

May 18th

Left Dover 10am reaching Boulogne about noon (lovely crossing). Left Boulogne about 12.45 passing through Saint-Omer, Aire-sur-le-Lys to Béthune where we had afternoon tea and coffee, spent 1 ½ hr. then continued our way through Aix-Noulette, La Targette, Arras Birth place of Robespierre, and Mercatel, then on to Boyelles, Croisilles, Bapaume & Sailly-Saillisel & Rancourt. After we passed Rancourt we came to a huge cemetery of the British soldiers killed in the First World War – thousands of war graves with crosses on each. Then we passed through Mt St Quentin, Péronne & the Somme, Estrées-Mons, Poeuilly, Vermand, Holnon then Saint-Quentin where there were many more war graves – then Laon, Corbeny & Reims the latter a large beautiful town, and last of all Châlons where we stayed the night in a hotel after a beautiful meal – Hector and Murdo used the tent.

19th May Châlons

Had a grand nights rest and sleep. Had gone to bed about 11.30 – nice bedroom 3 floors up. Comfortable beds. (Manageress and receptionist both spoke a little English).

After breakfast the boys called for us and off we went again. They had no breakfast so we stopped and bought bread, salmon, butter etc and shortly after had a grand picnic lunch near Perte and carried on again. Murdo drove from Challons to the Jura Mtns, when H. took over. We had no trouble at the border & no cases were even opened. We did a little shopping and carried on to Lausanne Vevey, Montreux. Had coffee & sandwiches in Vevey and sent some postcards and carried on to Brigue in the Swiss Alps & had supper there.

Vevey, Alps in background, Switzerland

As we were behind time we decided to carry on over the Alps (Simplon Pass). It was a wonderful experience which we’ll never forget. The car performed magnificently and although we took 2 hours to do 27 miles and at times had to go in first gear the gradient was so steep, we reached the summit safely over 6700 ft up. Almost twice the height of Ben Nevis. The glaciers were on either side of the road & the temperature was pretty low up there. We got safely down and we had great matter of thankfulness to the Most High. We reached Milan at 4.30am & went to a camping ground, set up the tent and made breakfast – tea & rolls, soup & fruit, then Mrs McK & I had a rest on the lie lows & the boys went to Poste Restante for mail & to get money changed into Italian currency.

Camping ground Milan, Italy


We did a round of the city & took snaps of the Cathedral & sent some P.C’s and left Milan at 12.45 going through Verona, Padua & Vicencia to


Spent a most enjoyable time in Venice and had coffee in an outside restaurant on the bank of a canal & watched the gondolas being propelled up and down. Very very interesting. Bought a few souvenirs and P.C’s and left again about 6pm reaching Trieste before 11pm. We put up at the Hotel Jolie and spent a very quiet, pleasant weekend there. We had very comfortable, indeed luxurious rooms. Mrs McKenzie and I a double one with private bathroom & the boys had single ones. It was a first class hotel recommended by the A.A. No Evangelical Church to our taste & no evening service. Looked in at a Catholic Church where we saw poor deluded creatures at the confessional.

We rose early on Monday and set off for Yugoslavia about 8.30 after an early breakfast – lovely morning – and we had a grand view of Trieste from the high road above. Reached the Yugoslav border at Fernetti about 9.30 & we were kept a whole hour getting passports etc etc inspected. They’re very particular with some cars & we noticed officials examining other cars, even the linings of cases and all pockets where things might be stored. We hadn’t to open cases so we were thankful. It’s a beautiful country and not unlike the Highlands of Scotland. We came to Sežana near the border where we got Yugoslav currency then we passed through various villages. The centre of Yugoslavia is largely limestone – the country beautifully wooded to the tops of the hills. We passed through Senožeče & Postonja where we stopped for petrol – benzina they call it there. Then Ljubljana. It was a wonderful experience driving on this motorway “autoput” 330 miles of straight road without a turning from Ljubljana to Belgrade. We did it in record time at a steady 60 miles an hour through most beautiful country till we reached Belgrade where we stayed the night.

We reached about 9.00pm doing the 330 mls in 5 hours. There was a severe thunderstorm for the latter part of the journey and torrential rain which affected the electricity in the city, part of which was in darkness. We got a glimpse of the Danube on our way in. Owing to road subsidence and floods, there was an influx of visitors and we failed to get accommodation in any of the hotels we tried. Eventually we got two tents and Mrs M and I slept in one and the boys in the other. We had supper in the adjoining restaurant and had a grand sleep and rest and set off for Skopje in the morning after a lovely breakfast.

It was a most interesting run as far as Nis, beautiful country and all along the road we passed men and women in primitive carriages and gigs sometimes drawn by two horses and sometimes by one and often we saw carts drawn by oxen & in the fields women could be seen toiling in the fields as they do in France. The country is very rich and the vineyards and other fruit orchards were very much in evidence! We set off from Nis at 3.30 but after about 50 miles we came on very bad roads & for 100mls it was rough road and we had to go about 10 mls an hour for most of the way with the result that we didn’t reach Skopje until 8.00am. We had a bath and breakfast and slept (Mrs M and I) for 2 hours; then we set off for Thessalonika at noon or shortly after. It was very hot but in the car it was very pleasant. We went through lovely country, hilly to begin with and we got some lovely snaps from the hills high above. All along the route we encountered peasants on donkeys and they were all so pleasant. The wee car has a strange fascination for these people, partly because of the unusual size of it and likely because of the unusual quartet inside!! Great waving of hands on both sides!!

In Skopje before we left wee boys were swarming around us like bees. We reached Thessalonika about 8.30 and found accommodation in Hotel Rec – very comfortable where we had a good sleep and rest. We had breakfast and afterwards Hector discovered a fault in the petrol pump which had to be rectified. Fortunately he had a spare one and after he got it fixed we set off. Not long after that he felt bumps so he had to change a tyre. All these things were caused by the state of the road between Nis and Skopje where in some places we had to cross river beds and flooded roads.

We reached Philippi in time to get a picture or two of the ruins of the old city, and we took a few stones from there and set off again along the Aegnatian Way towards Neapolis (Kavalla) a most beautiful city and the port at which the apostle Paul landed on his way to Philippi. After that there was a lot of mountainous country but the road was good all the way to Alexandropolis where we stayed the night (Thurs 25th) in a Motel, “Astir” very comfortable. Had a lovely meal about 1.00am, went to bed and had a grand rest.

Rose about 7.00am and on going out saw a (GB) car beside us and a young Scotch fellow and an English fellow ready for the road. We had a lovely breakfast of ham and eggs on the shores of the Mediterranean. The young men came over and spoke again. They both flew out to Athens and were on their way to Istanbul. They are engineers working in Turkey and invited us to their Hotel near Mersin if we should be in the vicinity. We took some snaps and left about 9.10am and had a slow journey to the Greek Border at Kastanies. Most of the road was poor and we didn’t get any speed up and it took four hours to do the journey of 87 miles. We got through the customs without any trouble. We had refreshments at Adrianopole (Edirne) a lovely city and discovered that there was a holiday in all Turkey lasting from Friday till Monday. All banks were closed and some shops and all along the road we met and passed hundreds of country people in their carts and on donkey back all making for the bigger towns. We reached Istanbul in the evening and after dinner we set off again. Istanbul, I think, is the most beautiful city I’ve ever visited. It is situated on the Sea of Marmara and the Black Sea, divided by the Bosphorus. We crossed the ferry and the sight of the lights all around us was unforgettable. The Golden Horn, the name given to the harbour and surroundings is supposed to be the most beautiful in the world, and I do not doubt it.

Istanbul towards Golden Horn

We sped across the desert then and passed several groups of Bedouins and their camels. At one point we must have come across 40 camels, and it was a sight to see.

The road was excellent for the first 100 miles or so but after that it was awful going over the pass through the Taurus Mountains. The road was very bad too and we took hours longer than we should otherwise have done. We went on to Adana but found the rooms in the hotel we booked in atrocious, so we picked up our cases, paid partly for them and came on to Mersin via Tarsus and had lunch there and went on board the “Marmara” in the evening 28th.

We had very nice accommodation and enjoyed the rest very much. We left Mersin about 1 am, and next day were told we could visit Cyprus as the ship had to unload there. We were all delighted and off we set in a small motor boat reaching Larnaca in a few minutes.

Ankara, Balim Hotel

We hired a car and visited Salamis and Famagusta, the former of great interest to us and we were again in the footsteps of St Paul. We did some shopping in Larnica on returning and when we reached the harbour there was a boat just leaving with from 80 to 90 people mostly children, as we thought all bound for Israel! Imagine our surprise when we discovered we were the only passengers from the Marmara and the crowd aboard were just for a pleasure trip. We embarked and soon after the Marmara set off again. After dinner we sat and read English papers and mags.


I forgot to say that Mrs McKenzie and I had a big washing earlier in the day and the boys slung a clothes line across our room and the breeze from the open porthole and the electric fan soon dried our clothes. We had a good sleep and were wakened early on our arrival at Haifa.

We had breakfast and soon after we got through the customs which was a rather lengthy affair. We then went a round of the city. It’s a beautiful modern city built right up to the top of Mt Carmel and we went up to the top then came and set out for Nazareth. It was swelteringly hot and we were nearly melted. We spent some time in Nazareth and bought a few souvenirs and carried on to Tiberias on the Sea of Galilee. What a wonderful feeling to be in the town of Nazareth!! We passed quite near Nain and H and M took photographs there as well as in Nazareth.

Wild flowers at Sea of Galilee

We looked around for the C of S Hospice and eventually found it. Hector went in to find out if we could have accommodation and came out smiling and said we could and that the lady in charge was a Cromarty girl! We all trooped in and had a good meal – lovely hot tea and were provided with very comfortable quarters. Hector and Murdo were offered a nice room but they preferred the tent and got nice sites overnight on top of the hill overlooking the Lake and the next night beside the Lake.

Miss Maclennan who is the daughter of a one time baker in Cromarty is a very nice homely person and so is Miss Dichman and they helped to make our stay pleasant. We had a large lovely room with single beds and all requirements. It’s a beautiful old world building with lovely surroundings. The temperature is very high as Tiberias and the lake are so low. The Lake is 680 feet below sea level. The temperature was 110 degrees sometimes and very trying especially next day when we went a sail on the Sea of Galilee. That was a memorable trip. Going over it was very calm but coming back the wind rose and it was quite stormy as it would have been in our Lord’s time. The boat was full both ways, coming back it was mostly Jews and they started singing their quaint songs and clapped their hands and were altogether so happy.

Hector met several people who gave him useful information about the country. Hector and Murdo several times had swims in the lake. We bought post cards and sent them.

We stayed there two nights and left next day for Haifa. H and M went to the Embassy and discovered we are not allowed to go through Syria even although we had our visas. It’s disappointing but cannot be helped.

Thursday June 1st, Friday 2

We provisionally booked passages on a boat to Athens (car as well) and set our faces toward Jerusalem. We arrived there rather late having lost our way in the maze of roads leading to the city. We eventually arrived at the Hospice but they were full up so we went to the YMCA and found comfortable quarters. H and M went to a Youth Hostel the following night but we stayed on in the YM for the whole time of our stay.

YMCA Jerusalem

It’s not quite so hot in Jerusalem. Mrs M and I both suffered from a touch of dysentery but we had some tablets given to H by Anna’s father and it cleared up in a day. Murdo had a touch of it too but H was ok. We arrived here Thursday night and rested more or less Friday.

Saturday 3rd June

On Saturday we left about 12 noon and set off for Beersheba, arriving there about 3 o’clock, had some refreshment and carried on to Sodom. It was intensely hot but it gradually cooled off towards evening. It gets very soon dark in these parts – about 7.30 or so and it comes down suddenly.

Garden Tomb, Jerusalem


Beersheba was more or less asleep when we were there in the afternoon and all the shops were closed, it being the Jewish Sabbath which they observe so rigidly. It was a long, long wearisome run to Sodom through the desert and for the last few miles a desolation of indescribable intensity. It was truly a dreadful place. Where once it was the rich smiling land appropriated by Lot, it is now a howling wilderness which no pen could adequately describe. The old Sodom is beneath the Dead Sea of course and there is now only a few shacks and a Post Office-cum-bar where drinks are served. We bought some PC’s and posted them in the lowest Post Office in the world, it being 1300 below sea level. We had a nice meal and set off for home. It was very late before we reached home but we were satisfied at being able to say we were in Sodom – S’dom as they say here.

Sabbath 4th June

Next day was our Sabbath and we went to the C of S nearby. A Mr Gibson is the minister in charge and gave quite a well thought out address but with very little life. A gentleman coming out beside me made the following remark to his wife, “All outward show but no inner life.” We were all served with tea and met several people. The British Consul was there and he it was who read the Scripture lessons out of our own Bible. The minister’s wife is very nice and so were the other ladies. Both minister and wife are Scotch. We came back and rested in the hall of the YMCA. A party of ladies obviously from home came in after lunch and sat near by and when they rose to go away they came over to speak. Who should they be but ladies from Stornoway. We were sorry they couldn’t wait. They were going to Tiberias. We went out and had a meal and came back to rest. There was a short service in the lounge – singing hymns etc and a prayer by an American. No mention of the name of Jesus in the prayer. He had a short address. No life in it whatsoever but it was nice to hear the Word read. After that we had supper and H was asked to introduce his party. Then we were given questionable sheets of singing material so we left at that point. We all went up to our room and had worship. The boys then left and we went to bed.

Monday 5th June

I wakened very early and couldn’t sleep. I heard the morning chorus and thought I’d write some. The traffic has now started. We rose refreshed and were just finished breakfast when H and M came in and they shortly afterwards set out for Haifa. We thought we’d stay put and do some washing etc. We took a walk out and did a little shopping, wrote some pc’s and came in and rested. We did our washing and went down to dinner about 7.30. Had a good dinner and a walk in the beautiful evening air. We were told it would be cold at night in Jerusalem, but it is never cold. The people of Jerusalem tell us that these days since we came have been exceptionally hot and even they themselves are wilting under it. During the day it is too hot to go out between 12 and 3 and most people lie down and have a siesta. We are continually drinking soft drinks and eating ice cream. The boys came in at 9.30pm after having visited Caesaria and Tel Aviv and several other places.

Tuesday 6th June

Next morning we went to the bank to see about our cheques etc and we booked berths in the “Athina” for Brindisi from Haifa. We look forward to this as it will mean less driving for Hector and we will be able to see other Italian cities which we haven’t already seen i.e. Naples, Rome, Genoa, Pisa etc. We go through Monaco and France and should be able to cross Thursday 15th if not earlier. We rested Tuesday afternoon, did some washing and then some shopping or at least Hector did – he bought several cushion covers. As it was Hector’s wedding anniversary on the 4th we had a little celebration and invited the boys to dinner. Had a lovely dinner – lentil soup, salad and some indescribable concoction of rice etc, roast chicken and veg or fish and a nice sweet – peaches, jelly and whipped cream and coffee. We had a dander round the building after dinner – it was such a lovely evening and went up to our rooms about 8pm. The boys booked a room near us so they had worship with us and so to bed. It is so hot that even a sheet above us is too much.

Wednesday 7th June

Today we have tickets for the Eichman trial in the afternoon and then we proceed to Haifa where we stay the night and we leave from there tomorrow morning.

We visited Mount Sion after lunch and we were nearly overpowered with the heat. Saw the Room of the Last Supper and King David’s tomb – all intensely interesting. We bought some souvenirs and took some photographs and then came down the long flight of steps to the car.

Mount Sinai (summit) Moses’ hiding place

We then went to the Eichman trial. We had to be thoroughly examined before going in, so that we had no pistols etc. The court was a huge beautiful building. There were three judges but they were in ordinary dress and no wigs or paraphernalia of that kind. Eichmann was sitting stolidly in his glass case with a warden on either side of him. A witness was giving evidence and was questioned from time to time by either the prosecution or defence counsel. He gave his evidence very fluently but of course we couldn’t understand a word. The courthouse is air conditioned and we were very cool, but we left in an hour’s time and out we went to the heat of Jerusalem. We had a meal, gathered up our belongings and set off for Haifa. Our stay in Jerusalem was very, very pleasant and only for the terrific heat which residents tell us is most unusual for May and June, we’d have been happy to stay longer. We had a nice run to Haifa via the Jerusalem Corridor and took some photos.

Road to Emmaus – Mrs Mackenzie

We arrived about 9.30pm and found a very nice hotel – the “Apinger” Hotel where we all got rooms for the night. It was very nice and we had a private bathroom each. We had a lovely dinner in an adjoining restaurant, then turned in and had a good sleep.

Thursday 8th June and Friday 9th June

We (Mrs M and I) had a lovely hot bath each next morning, then we did our packing and set off for the docks about 8am.

Hector and Greek Cypriot

We had a good while to wait and it was 12 noon before we left Haifa. We were allocated a berth to ourselves (Mrs M and I) and the boys had a 4 berth cabin but later a chap from Cyprus got one of the empty berths. It was pretty stuffy downstairs, so we sat on deck most of the day. The sea was lovely and calm until night when a gale got up and it was very choppy. Mrs M and I took no dinner and went down early feeling pretty groggy. The boys were hardy and took all their meals but we refrained from going to the dining room all day Friday and had a cup of tea twice and an orange. We rose at night and felt the better of being up in fresh air on deck. We stayed up till 9.30 then went to bed and had a good night.

Saturday 10th June

I rose about 6.30am on Saturday and was up on deck to find we were in the Aegean Archipeligo going in and out through the different islands of the Aegean Sea. It was a most beautiful morning and we got some snaps.

We arrived at Piraeus about noon and soon got ashore, hired a taxi to visit Athens, but we had little enough time at our disposal. We visited the Acropolis and stood on Mars Hill and took several snaps.

Athens, Mars Hill – Murdo

Mrs E. A. Cameron looking at “Athina” in Corinth Canal

It is a most beautiful city with lovely shops and we wished we could have more time to spend. The Saturday afternoon traffic was at its peak and we had to go very slowly with the result that when we arrived at the harbour, our boat had gone!! Imagine our consternation! Well, we went to the police and hired the car we were in, and took a policeman with us to Corinth. He wirelessed the boat to wait for us, so after much excitement and going in and out of small boats, we finally climbed aboard the waiting “Athina” (our ship).

Going through the Corinth Canal

There was a crowd along all decks waving us a welcome as many of our shipboard friends never thought they’d see us again. We got a great welcome from them all when we came on board and they all had a good laugh at our exploits. It was lovely to be in Athens, and to stand on Mars Hill where Paul preached, was an unforgettable thrill. We bought a few souvenirs up near Mars Hill. It was also most interesting to be in Corinth where Paul also founded a church.

We had a very good dinner – tomato soup, roast beef, chips and salad, and an orange for a sweet. Then Mrs McKenzie and I went on deck and although it is pretty choppy it is very pleasant. We must have gained our sea legs, as we don’t feel any bad effects.

There are many nice people on board – nice and friendly. A German party are especially nice and gave us such a warm welcome back on board. One of them is a young Lutheran clergyman with his fiancée and what we think must be her mother and also his mother. Another character is a German lady about 65 who is a real tough one. We hear she is a great swimmer and dives into swimming pools like a 10 year old, turning somersaults in so doing. She’s very friendly and travels about a lot.

February 1962

My diary has been a blank since we left Corinth.

We arrived in Brindisi in due course after a very pleasant journey on the Mediterranean (after we recovered from our sea sickness), then crossed Italy to Naples. As it was night when we arrived, we got no pictures of our own taken there, but have got some since. We saw Mount Vesuvias to our left as we came in to Naples and wished we had more time to visit it and Pompei. We went on to Rome next morning, had a puncture on arriving and got nice rooms in a hotel there. We had a good sleep before doing some shopping.

Hector and Murdo did some sight seeing and took some photographs for themselves and us. We did not go near the Pope I may add!!

Rome, Coliseum

We left Rome en route for home, arriving in Siena (pronounced Sheeana) about 10pm, and had a most beautiful dinner. H. phoned home from a hotel nearby and heard all were well in all our homes.

We carried on to Pisa and saw the famous leaning tower about 1.30 in the morning. It was floodlit and was a sight worth seeing. Streets were deserted except for an odd pedestrian, one of whom directed us to the Tower. We carried on all night as our time was getting short. Slept in car for an hour or two and carried on to Genoa.

It was misty and we didn’t get a proper view of the countryside. We stayed an hour or two and had lunch and got some pictures and set off again. H. checked the mileage from the beginning of the town to the other end – 23 miles round the Bay/Gulf of Genoa.

We carried on from the Italian Riviera to the French Riviera stopping at various places of interest – Menton where Spurgeon and Dr Kennedy went for their health; Monte Carlo, the residence of Grace Kelly and capital of the small principality of Monaco.

We had another puncture which entailed a longer stay than we expected. We carried on to Nice and Cannes – all beautiful, and I should say expensive holiday resorts of the rich. We passed through Fréjus where the terrible landslide and floods occurred the previous year (dam burst). We saw remains of it, but a wonderful job had been done towards repairing bridge etc.

We stayed at Saint-Maximin-la-Sainte-Baume at the Relais Bonaparte Hotel (it’s still there) and had a beautiful meal served in an old fashioned dining room. The whole building was old fashioned style and at one time was owned by Bonaparte’s brother and his wife.

We stayed the night and had a good nights sleep but all too soon 3.30am came and off we set again at 4.00am. The hotel people were very trusting and told us how to open the front door and shut it in their own way. There wasn’t a soul about when we left. We breakfasted at the first place we saw a restaurant open, about 8.00am at Avignon and carried on.

The roads were beautiful and so was the day. We passed through Avignon, Lyons etc and stopped at Dijon for lunch. Then on we sped to Challons where we stayed on our outward journey. Had tea there and off again. Hector drove all the way and after we left Challons it was dark and the roads were bad in places.

We passed through Lille which Hector knew from War days. We arrived in Dunkirk at 1.45am and just caught the boat and no more. The last hundred or two miles were very hard going for Hector and he must have been dead beat. From St M in the south of France (where we left at 4.00am) to Dunkirk where we arrived at 1.45 next morning is 750 miles and he did all the driving himself. His shock absorbers were giving trouble. (?He) himself was quite done.

We were hungry and cold but had a grand meal on board – full course dinner at 2.00am! Providence was good all the time we were away, as He always is and He provided the last four bunks available on the boat, and we were soon fast asleep.

We reached Dover about 6.00am and had breakfast there. Hector had to get the shock absorbers seen to and instead of waiting in Dover, Mrs McKenzie and I took the train to London. Went on to the Admiralty first and saw Mona. She and Mrs M. saw me on the underground to Dolly McLennan’s in Fulham. I had a nice rest on Dolly’s bed and had a nice lunch and enjoyed a good old chin wag with Dolly. She saw me on the train (underground again) and I duly reached Ewan Cameron’s. They were all eagerly awaiting news of our trip and bit by bit I gave them a resume. Mrs McKenzie and Mona arrived after me, then Murdo and Hector. We had dinner before setting off on an all night trip to Glasgow.

I slept most of the way through England. We had breakfast up in the north of England – I forget the name of the place, but then we carried on to Glasgow where we had a nice lunch from Mr and Mrs Neil McLeod. Neil set off with us and he went with Murdo as far as Lochgilphead where his own car met him. We carried on and had tea at Balachulish and then on to Conon where Mrs McKenzie’s husband and Emily met us.

Hector carried on home and Willie McKenzie ran me home here before going home to Drumdyre.

I was tired as we all were that night, but a good sleep refreshed us. A wonderful holiday!! Every minute enjoyed, and thankful we are to the Most High for His care and protection through all those miles over land and sea.

We calculated we did about 7500 miles by car and 1200 or more by sea.



River Jordan