Monday 15th November 2021

A scooter run to Skye (202 miles).

It is nearly winter. I spent last week painting and decorating. I wanted a trip before winter comes on. I did manage a trip in December last year so we have to wait and see. But today was to be dry and reasonably mild for the time of year.

I went to the 8.00 am Men’s Prayer Meeting at the church. I came back to the house and counted the collection from yesterday and so the first thing I had to do was bank it in Alness. I left about 9.50 and went first to Alness. I then scootered out to Dingwall and took on petrol at Tesco. I also bought a bottle of Pepsi Max (wait and see). All the time I was trying to make speed so I had used the A9 to get out to Dingwall and instead of going by Strathpeffer to get to Contin I went by Strath Brahan. I stopped in a lay-by near Brahan Rock to eat something.

To my horror I found I had bought Pepsi Max Cherry! It was horrible. I could have cried. I so, so love Pepsi Max. I blame my daughter for my obsession (or addiction). She’s a Pepsi Max junkie.

I had to get a picture of Loch Garve as I passed along. It was so still.

You have to cross the West Highland Line to get to the loch.

And then Loch a Chuilinn looked so nice. The wind is staring to ripple the surface. It got windier as the day went on.

At Achnasheen I took the road to Kyle of Lochalsh and before Lochcarron turned left to Strathcarron. I stopped for natural reasons.

A bit further on looking across to Lochcarron.

As you descend to Loch Alsh the Kintail hills start to show.

And faintly ahead, the hills of Skye.

I went to Kyle of Lochalsh and crossed the Skye Bridge. Three miles on I took the left turn onto the single track over to Kylerhea. It crosses by the fantastic Bealach Udal. Here, Glenelg Bay and the hills of the West are coming into view.

This is at the pier at Kylerhea. There was no ferry running today. It stops in October. So it was see Kylerhea and turn back.

In this photo almost dead ahead to the right of centre there is a cottage on the shore. That was Walter and Minah Brown’s house. We stayed there the first summer after we were married. It was beautiful. That is nearly 40 years ago! Where has the time gone?

I came back over the Bealach Udal stopping on the other side for lunch.

Looking towards Broadford and the Skye hills.

A more sensible lunch. Even the biscuit is for later.

I stopped on the Skye Bridge bumping the scooter onto the pavement. There are just super views of Skye from up here. There was a little drizzle as I came onto the bridge. There had been a little drizzle just after my lunch coming down the Bealach Udal.

The strange hill in the centre is Macleod’s Table.

Here Kyle of Lochalsh is to the left and Kyleakin to the right.

I pushed on through Kyle and stopped for the obligatory photo of Eilean Donan castle.

A wee bit later this picture is of the Kintail hills.

And then a stop at Dornie. You could stop every five minutes and not do justice enough to the views.

I had my lunch at the churchyard here a couple of years ago in November.

A stop in Glen Shiel.

Loch Cluanie. The level is still low after our dry summer.

I then pushed onto Invermoriston and up Loch Ness. This is taken at another of natures demands. No monster.

What was alarming was my fuel consumption. Normally I expect to get about 180 miles out of a tankful. I was almost out at 165 miles. I had to pick up petrol in Drumnadrochit. Not cheap. I had calculated in Skye I should be able to get home or pretty near it without refilling. Is this the effect of the dreaded E10 petrol?!

I stopped up on the Culnakirk to eat my biscuit (a Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer) and force down some of the horrible Pepsi Max Cherry.

I could never normally pour Pepsi Max away but I was more than glad to get rid of this stuff.

As I was admiring the view a big 4 x 4 vehicle drew up right beside me and an older woman with two dogs got out. She spoke with a very posh accent but was very pleasant querying me about my day’s trip. I would imagine her to be one of the upper class.

I went down to Beauly and then over the Black Isle down to the Cromarty Bridge and home. I was very, very cold. I found the temperature at home was 2.4°C. No wonder I was cold. Altogether a great day.